PNGan travelling

Home: Papua New Guinea - ... - Current location: Port Moresby, PNG

My Photo
Name:
Location: Port Moresby, NCD, Papua New Guinea

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Twelfth Night

I've rekindled my relationship with Will. The language and poetry and wit.

I went to see the Bell Shakespeare production of the play last night to break up my current lollygagging stint, and am still thinking about it. Not lollygagging; the play. It's not the story that I liked so much as the language that conveyed the plot. Plus, the stage setting and acting was flawless.

The set was cleverly done with a mound of clothes placed centre, probably supported by something more solid than just more clothes. The actors ran up and down the mountain, used the clothes for wardrobe changes, camouflaged themselves against it, sat against it, threw themselves at it, tumbled up and down it. What fun.

Wardrobe changes were done in a way that made the audience feel clever to figure out. Either a set of sunglasses or a beannie to separate one character from another played by the same, most adroit, actor.

It was very Shakespeareianly done, to have a male play a female as well as a female play at playing a male when she was really a female? Confused? You won't be long if you're clever enough.

There were modern (or at least pop songs from the last 20 - 30 years) songs incorporated into the script. Most times it worked, sometimes it didn't.

The overall feel was low budget, but not stingy rather eco-friendly. Especially with what must have been a sheitload of secondhand/thriftstore/opshop clothes.

I could watch it again, but will read it too. I'm sure I'm not the first, and won't be the last, to recognise the absolutely massive effect that Shakespeare has had on modern English. He would have loved to laugh and kept the pace of humour going to fill up people's minds with too much of not much but important much.

I wonder what he and Bill Cosby would have to say to each other.. There's a dinner I want to host.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home